10 Tips to Finding Your Creative Spark
Finding Your Creative Spark
Don’t you love it when your creativity manifests itself? Creativity brings us benefits that go far beyond artistic expression. Being a creative person can help you to be a better (and higher paid) employee, a better problem solver and an all around more effective person in anything you choose to do.
Even if you don’t think of yourself as an especially creative person, you’ll be glad to know that it’s there within you just waiting for you to use it! Creativity can be expressed in many different ways. Plus, there are many techniques you can use to develop and nurture your natural creativity.
Like many people, you may think that you’re either creative or you’re not. What a myth! If you long to be more creative, then go for it!
Here are ten tips you can use to become a new, more creative you:
1. Think of yourself as creative. We all have the spark of creativity inside us; it’s just a matter of fanning that flame to keep it alive, as well as knowing where your particular brand of creativity is best applied.
- The first step is to know that you’re creative. Think positively about this and work to see your creative side whenever possible.
2. Think creatively. If there are two solutions to a problem, try them both. Try out your new ideas, even if they seem a little outlandish at first. These fresh, outside the box, perspectives can lead to huge breakthroughs.
- Telling yourself that you’re creative is only the beginning; try to think creatively whenever possible.
3. Put your new ideas into action. Don’t worry what other people will think. By trying out your creative ideas, even if you don’t succeed at first, you’ll learn something and give your creativity a chance to flourish.
- Don’t be afraid to try new things.
4. Don’t over-think things; just go ahead and do it! Rather than thinking of all the reasons NOT to do something, think positively and take a risk. If you have always wanted to try writing or painting, just get it on paper (or canvas, as the case may be) immediately.
- Let your creative impulses run wild.
5. Be inspired! Pay a visit to a museum, take in a play, try going somewhere you’ve never been or seeing something you’ve never seen.
6. Make time for your creative outlets. We’re all busy these days. Be sure to schedule some time for your creative pursuits. Put yourself in front of your instrument, your computer, or whatever your medium may be for a few hours each week and let your creativity come out.
7. Enjoy yourself. Make your creative endeavor a joy, not a chore. This will ensure the continued flow of creative energies.
8. Play creative games. This is a fun way to foster creativity! Get together with friends and play charades or another game where success hinges on being expressive and coming up with creative ways to communicate.
9. Try a new creative medium. If you have chosen a creative medium, try mixing it up when you get into a rut. If you write, try playing music. If you’re a dancer, try painting – you get the idea.
- Inspiration sparks creativity.
- Shake things up to get some new ideas and perspectives.
10. Take a break! If you’re stuck for ideas, don’t sit there in your workspace staring at the walls. Even the most creative people need to take some time off. This can allow a blocked well of creativity to flow again.
- Get outside for a bit to recharge your creative energies.
Remember to be patient when nurturing your creativity. This shouldn’t be a stressful activity. Make a habit of enjoying these techniques every day and one day soon you just may discover that you’re one of the most creative people out there!