7 Ways to Develop Your Willpower
Your willpower is a muscle which can become tired quite quickly. Follow the subsequent tips to learn how to develop your willpower without suffering from burnout.
1. Set one goal at a time – even though you may have multiple goals only work on one at a time. It is best to start with a small goal first and then work your way up to larger goals.
2. Deal with stress first – it will be much easier for you to reach your goals and stay on track when you are feeling less stressed out. Your first step should be to identify and deal with your stressors.
3. Have clear goals – if you write down goals that are ambiguous or too large you will not be successful. Instead break down a larger goal into smaller segments and then define each one clearly.
4. Be aware of your actions – it is so easy to lose track of time by focusing on non specific items such as surfing the internet for hours with no clear goal in mind. Instead look at what you are doing and determine your reasons why.
5. Create a to-do list – just the act of writing down what you have to accomplish each day will help you stay focused. When you know that a task isn’t finished you are more likely to get it finished. This is because your brain realizes that the task is still there. This is when you get those voices in your head reminding you to finish it. Use your list to cross off items once completed so you feel a sense of accomplishment at getting them
6. Set routines – by giving yourself a time table to get things done by you are improving your willpower and your self-discipline. This is the best way to create new habits as well. For example if you get up at 6am to exercise every day within 3 weeks this will have become a habit. You will automatically get up ready to exercise without questioning your actions.
7. Tackle hard things first thing – it is well known that your willpower is at its strongest first thing in the morning. Plan your day to get those things you view as toughest done during this time period.
Start incorporating the above 7 methods into your life today and you will find that your willpower becomes stronger quickly.